Creating an effective board requires collaboration of the board leadership and the executive director. For some EDs, however, board failures are seen as the responsibility of the board itself.
It is however, the responsibility of the ED to guide the board. The ED is the professional in the room. It is not a matter of doing more work but of a shift in approach by the ED towards his or her relationship with the board.
This workshop will address techniques that can enable the ED to “manage up” and address issues such as:
• What can be done to move the board from second guessing management to appropriate oversight, leadership and support?
• How can an unengaged board become passionate again about the mission?
• How can committee work become productive?
• What can be done if some board members are simply no longer functioning?
Michael Davidson has extensive experience providing technical assistance in board governance both as a trainer and workshop leader for executive directors and board members and as a consultant and coach for nonprofit boards.
- Learn how to strengthen board engagement
- Gain insight on how to "manage up" when working with board members
CEOs, executive directors, upper management
Program directors and staff
This is a free workshop. For more information or to register, visit: https://grantspace.org/training/2019-01-23-who-is-responsible-for-the-board-the-executive-director-and-the-board/